Sunday, October 25, 2009

How to Prepare...Radishes

Radishes were one of my mom's favorites, I grew up eating them. Originating in Africa as the Black Radish, it was Asia and Europe that cultivated radishes into the many varieties we know today. I've tried radishes several times with different varieties, Diakon and German Giant specifically, without much success. When Gee Creek Farm started offering the French Breakfast variety, that has a mild flavor and great color, I thought I would give them another chance. The French Breakfast Radishes were received extremely well.


Radishes are rich in ascorbic acid, folic acid, and potassium. They are a good source of vitamin B6, riboflavin, magnesium, copper, and calcium.

I'm not a fan of cooking Radishes, they lose both flavor and color. I prepared them the way my mom ate them most of the time, raw with just a little bit of salt. I prepare this first thing when i get there, the Radishes need a couple of hours in the fridge.

Of course start by soaking in cold water for ten to fifteen minutes. This may crisp them up is any of them have gotten a little soft.
Take them out of the water and rinse off under cold water, then twist off the tops. You may want to be careful with the greens, I discovered that I am allergic to them. Recipes for radish greens can be found, I generally discard them.
Using a small knife cut off the ends and cut them to the size and shapes you'd like.

Slices

Batons

Diced.

Once cut I put them in the bowl and toss with salt and olive oil, then place them in the fridge for a couple of hours.

After a couple of hours in the fridge the radishes soften quite a bit. At home I would add thinly slice red onions before the salt and olive oil. After refrigerating toss with chopped fresh spinach and add black pepper.
One of the best ways to eat radishes is on a butter sandwich, it's a very french way to eat them. Simply slice a baguette, spread a layer of butter topped thinly sliced radishes. Trust me, it's delicious.