Monday, September 14, 2009

How To Prepare...Carrots

Carrots are one of the favorites at CR. An excellent source of vitamin A, fiber, antioxidants, calcium, phosphorus and potassium. Sometimes I steam them, sometimes they are roasted. This time I'll show you how I roast them.

Start with some Nantes Carrots from Winter Green Farm.
I peel them carefully, and rinse them off. You can save the peels, more on that later.
I hold the carrot strait in from off me and cut them on the bias. Be sure to keep the fingers curled under. Save those tips and ends.
Once they are all cut I toss them with olive oil and salt.
I layer them about three layers deep on a well oiled sheet pan.
Roast them in a very hot oven until the tips are just starting to burn.
At home you can then toss them with fresh herbs, orange juice or champagne vinegar.

Remember those peels, tips and ends?
Save them for use in stocks. At home i keep a bag in the freezer and keep adding vegetable scraps till its full. Once it's full, I roast them up, and boil them into stock. At CR we often feed them to Bunny Foo Foo.