Saturday, August 15, 2009

How To Prepare...Tofu

Tofu, the ever popular soybean curd. The children get pretty excited on tofu day, I'll never forget one room jumping up and down screaming "tofu!" as I walked in with it. One child described it as clouds, and another called it "the other chicken".

I've had a lot of experience with many forms and types of tofu, for the most part firm or extra firm tofu is the way to go. The brand we use at CR (and I use at home) is Surata Soyfoods firm nigari tofu(made in Eugene, OR). Nigari is a form of salt that is used in the coagulation of the soymilk, it produces the firmest texture.

Getting people to eat tofu can be a challenge sometimes. the way I cook it at CR has proven to be a great way to introduce tofu to a skeptical crowd. It's all about changing the texture a little, and adding a flavor that is somewhat familiar...

Here's How:

Start by freezing the tofu in the packaging. Freezing the tofu causes in to take on a chewier consistency. Take the tofu our of the freezer and put it in the fridge, two days before you want to use it. After it's completely thawed, I give it a good squeeze. you don't want to dry it out, just get rid of some of the excess water. I do this over a strainer, so I don't lose any tofu bits down the drain.
I then stand it up and slice it into three slabs and place in a large tub. I then add no salt stock powder, salt and olive oil.
Then using gloved hands, I gingerly mash the tofu. I try not to break it up too much, unless you want a more granulated texture. During the mashing I also do a lot of tossing this helps to get the seasoning and olive oil mixed evenly through out. Once I have it well mixed, I move the tofu to a baking pan. I like to mound it in a thick layer.
I like the thick layer because then you get different textures after it's baked. I bake it till the tips of the top layer are a nice dark brown.
The tofu comes out with a "chicken" like consistency, and a savory flavor. At home you can use the baked tofu in scrambles, burritos, stir fries, and soups. I love to throw it into tomato sauce and use it over pasta.
I am working on a ChildRoots recipe book, that will have amounts, times and temperatures. The work to at home conversions are taking a bit of trial and error so stay tuned...
(I hope to have it worked out sometime in the next month or so.)